Some people think I'm biased towards the US - I suppose so far the US is winning based on the topics I've written about so far. However, I guess my perspective is such that since the UK is a new place for me, I compare my new experiences here to what I'm used to. And of course, it's the things that frustrate me that stand out in my mind, so I appear to be biased. I'm going to try to write about the great positive things also.
Today, it's public transportation. I think aside from New York and Chicago, the US does not have great public transport. Why? Government doesn't want to pay for it? Cities are too big? Who knows, but it sucks, especially in LA. Here in London - it is AMAZING! And the train system across the country is awesome, too. The Brits actually complain about London Transport all the time - the trains get cancelled, delays due to engineering problems, closures on the weekend for planned upgrade work, etc. But, if they had LA to compare it to, they would know that it is the best thing since sliced bread!
I can get anywhere in London and the country without a car. It may take me a little longer in some cases, but I get to actually read books or the paper or check email while I'm doing it! My Kindle is my best friend on the train - I've read like 12 books in the last 7 months. I hadn't read an actual whole book in the last 3 years before that!! Part of that due to becoming a mom, but also due to the fact that I had to drive everywhere and never had the opportunity. It's renewed my love of reading and I thank London for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment