US vs. UK Score

I've decided to start keeping score on what's better in the US
vs. what's better in the UK. Here's the score to date:

US: 4
UK: 3

September 25, 2011

Health Care for All!! UK wins by a landslide!

Written in June 2011
Here in the UK, most health care is FREE. And for children - everything is free! Doctor's visits, prescriptions, even an ambulance is completely FREEEEE!!!! While I'm still trying to fully understand the system, I was thrown into it when Sophie fell and cracked her chin open :-(



I walked in the door from work to meet my husband whispering to me, "We have to go to the hospital." Ugh! We were in the process of calling a taxi to take us when, all of a sudden, Sophie fell asleep. We thought it was strange given the pain and bleeding, so we were worried that maybe she had hit her head also. So we called an ambulance. They came within 10 minutes, checked her out, gave her the all clear and took us to the hospital to have her chin closed up. And we don't have to pay a penny for the ambulance. Not...one...single...penny!

Why would anyone fight against that? Taxes? Sure, we pay taxes, but we pay just as much in the US and don't really get much for it. I don't think I'm paying all that much more here in the UK and I seem to get a lot more for my money. Why oh why does the US have all these crazy people who would rather have large insurance companies whose sole purpose is to turn a profit run our health care system? Point UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment